DM 7025 Flashing a new firmware with Browser
What you need to flash
You need the image file you want to flash. Image files have the extension *.nfi. You can't flash other
images like *.img files from the DM7000. Don't try it - it won't work.
You need either a DHCP server, a configured bootloader or a serial cable and a terminal program
You need a browser, and a network cable. If you connect the Dreambox directly to the PC,
you need a cross cable, if you connect trough a switch/hub/router you need a normal
To flash a new image, you can use the second stage loader. It must be present and not broken.
The following steps assume you have a DHCP server. If you don't have one, you have to setup
an IP address in the bootloader's serial setup. Oh, and it assumes you have a second-stage
loader newer than Version 37. The Second-stage version is displayed when you poweron the box,
in the LCD. look for "BOOT #37" (which is version 37). If it says "CF FOUND" instead, remove the
compact flash card to see the version message. If it doesn't say anything, it's probably an even
- Power down the Dreambox, either using "shutdown" (to enter the deep-standby mode) or by
using the power-switch. Standby is not enough!
- (1.) Press and hold the lower frontpanel button.
- (2.) Switch on the dreambox, either by using the powerswitch or, in deep-standby mode,
press the power button. Still, hold the lower button.
- (3.) A text "*** STOP ***" should appear. If something like "/flash".. appears, you didn't
hold the right button. Now you can release the button.
The bootloader entered the "waiting" mode.
- (4.) Above the "*** STOP ***" text, there should appear an IP-address
(four decimal values with a dot in between). If there appears the string "dhcp" instead,
the box still searches for a DHCP server. Wait a bit. If it doesn't change, something doesn't
work with the DHCP server. Check wether network cable is plugged in etc. If it just doesn't
work, set an IP using the serial terminal)
- Now, open a browser on your PC.
(1.) enter in the address line "http://ip/" (where ip must be replaced with the value in the LCD).
- (2.) on the bottom of the page, there's a link called "firmware upgrade". Click it.
- On the next page, you can select the flash image you want to flash. be sure that it has the ".nfi" extension.
You can't flash other images (like .img)!
- Click on "FLASH!" and wait. It might take some time to upload and flash the image.
- Switch the box off again, and on again. The new image should be flashed and working.